Some last thought before we leave for La Belle France.
The photo above is from our visit to Mousehole. Now, for you non-Brits, how do you pronounce that??? I’ll explain lower down, but don’t cheat!
We had a day excursion from Tintagel where we took in St Ives, Penzance, Mousehole & St Michael’s Mount. St Ives was brilliant but absolutely packed with crowds. We went to Penzance to get some Pirate paraphernalia, but only found tacky stuff (can you believe it?) and then had a great time at Mousehole.
C did some great sketching there and I watched a fantastic battle between seagulls over a dead fish. Have a great photo.
St Michaels Mount was speccy but closed. Do tourism operators all over the world have a pact? It’s Easter Sat, crowds are swarming, so what will we do – oh I know, we’ll close!
* we got out of Camelot Castle alive AND with a discount!
* most people don’t speak English, unless it’s with an accent.
* The service sector, particularly hotels etc, only employs people from Poland and Russia who speak with a strong accent and have names like Jane and Brian.
* the tractor drivers of England have formed a guild – they are in touch with each other and ring when it’s their turn to block a road. The conversation goes something like ‘Yar Fred, can you do the A32 to Upper Swithington tommorra?’ (said in accent from The Bill).
* My accent is so good, I am now taken for a local. I’ve even had people ask if I’ve been through Oxford! (those who know my joke telling abilities, particularly Irish ones, won’t have any trouble believing this).
* In spite of persistent rumours there is no welcoming sign to Bridgewater UK saying, ‘Welcome to the Town in which Alastair Richardson was born.’ We have a theory as to how it started.
*A GPS (such as Geeves) is invaluable and should be trusted implicitly most of the time. He let us down badly today, gave us the silent treatment – you can’t believe how relieved we were when he finally spoke to us again.
Magical place to visit – would do it again in a heartbeat. If you can, come! Now, Mousehole is pronounced Mowzle. Phew!
France tomorrow. Geeves has been retired and Jean Paul will be our guide – we hope. Not looking forward to driving on the wrong side of the road.